Svnlabs provide some guidelines to follow before SEO:
On page SEO or search engine optimization is making sure that your website is as search engine friendly as possible. If your website is not optimized then you have less chance of getting good results in the search engines, here are some guidelines for good on page SEO:
1. Make sure that all of your web pages can be indexed by search engines – make sure that they all have at least one link from somewhere on your site.
2. Make sure that you have unique content on every single page.
3. Make sure that your meta-tags are arranged correctly – your page title tags and description tags should describe the content of your different web pages along with the targeted keywords. The page title tags should be less than 70 characters and the description tags more detailed but less than 150 characters.
4. Make sure you label the different headers (targeted keywords) on your web pages using H tags.
5. Make sure that your web page URLs are SEO friendly. Ideally make it so that the URLs describe your content. Avoid URLs like domain.com/product.php?cat=146. Use hyphens to separate words and spacing in the URLs.
6. Make sure that you use descriptive URLs for your images.
7. Make sure that you label all of your images with descriptive alt attributes.
8. Make sure that you make good use of anchor text links within your content – if you have a page about web design, use the phrase web design in the text that links to it.
9. Make sure that there is only one version of your homepage. Use 301 redirect for index or default page back to domain.com.
10. Use the rel=”nofollow” tag in the links to websites that you do not trust, or you do not want to help in the search engines.
If you follow these guidelines you are on your way towards good on page SEO and to good rankings in the search engines.